Thursday, November 08, 2007

Sock Updates

First, here is one of the pictures that Kelley took of me on Saturday. I like it because you can get a better view of the dress :) Oh, and it's not a bad view of that lovely wheel either! You CAN see the socks I was wearing...handknit and lovely, but not really the best choice for the outfit.

Here's what I spun Saturday. Spun the single, then Andean plyed it back. It's about 130 yards and is just under 2 oz. I'm thinking I'll spin the rest of this 4 oz of fiber on the wheel, then knit it into a pair of socks. Not really to wear, but for demo/display.

Here's the first single of the Merino/Tencel - finished both singles Sunday night and begun plying them.
Oh, and look! Here's the finished yarn! Sorry about the lighting in all of these. The demise of Daylight Savings Time is definitely going to make yarn photography more difficult. You can see the tweediness a bit here, between the two plys.

Oh, and here it is again, all wound up and ready to become socks. Will pack the needles with me for the weekend...should cast on tonight and get the toes done, but I don't think it's going to happen.
In not-so-fibery news, I finally got up the nerve (after spending the past THREE years trying to talk myself into it!) to call my grandmother the other day (it's a long story). Anyhow, called her and talked for an hour about family history, her parents, siblings, etc. I finally have some names to begin with in my search for that side of the family. She also reconfirmed the information my mother had told me years ago - that my great grandmother was a Native American. So, now I'm out researching trying to find her and her family online. Exciting stuff!

6 comments:

Kappy111 said...

so you are going out of town this weekend? I hope you have a good time!

Batty said...

Lovely yarn! It has such a pretty sheen to it.

KnitChick said...

Superwash Merino/Tencel blend is my favorite new sock fiber. I adore the way it spins up, and love the way it knits as well. This 4 oz I spun and plied in about 7 hours!

Oh, and the socks are about 3" long now...making great progress on them this weekend.

spinndiva said...

what lovely yarn!!!!! The "tweedyness" is very nice! I love it!

Kappy111 said...

I am fairly sure the socks are done by now...Where are the pictures??? :-)

KnitChick said...

Not QUITE... I started the ribbing yesterday morning. Spent last week doing online research in the evenings, and this weekend at the Powwow - where I did get a decent amount of knitting in during the various dance competitions, but not like what I got done last weekend. They should be finished with pictures by this weekend (three day work week!!).