Thursday, April 26, 2007

Holy Themed Packages Batman!!!

ANN!! OMG! I've been transported! (But then of course the irony of that is not lost - been reading synopses).

If you're not Ann, some background... I got home today to find this GIANT HEAVY box waiting for me... I put it down for a moment, turned around, and find a very interested kitty sitting on top of it. Hhmmm...cute, but a little strange. Timothy is such a sweet baby I just had to take a picture of him.
Fast forward 30 seconds. I've shooed Timothy away and shut off the camera. Picking up box to take to the livingroom for unveiling... But wait...there's Smokey, and HE seems awfully interested in this box too! Does it contain catnip toys??


Finally the furballs back off a bit, and I got it into the livingroom. Opened it up, and... Holy Cow that's a lot of tartan! Each item was wrapped in tartan cloth, and even the ribbon was cloth tartan ribbon! To take it a step further, Ann even used the extra pieces of fabric as additional packing material. It's a viscious plot you see...she knows that if she dangles a little fiber in front of my face, I'll be compelled to do something with it... This huge pile of lovely tartan is fairly screaming for me to make a quilt with it... We'll see... no promises.


But why tartan I asked? Oh my...the ENTIRE package is Scottish themed. Yes, I REALLY mean the WHOLE thing.

Here you can see the Anne yarn along with the lovely pattern for the Scotch Thistle Lace Stole. Next to that is a skein of STR - in the Scottish Highlands colorway.

There are several tasty morsels included...and all are MADE IN SCOTLAND!! Ok, this part really does perplex me...is there a strong Scottish presence in your part of the world, such that there are Scottish only stores?? There are Butterscotch Crisps...oohhh...a little bit sinful I think, a small package of shortbreads, Scottish Breakfast tea - smells like a lovely strong breakfast tea, and Pinhead Oatmeal! I haven't opened the oatmeal package yet, but I'm guessing this is a type of Steel Cut oats? I LOVE SC Oatmeal!!

And finally, the inspiration for this amazing themed transportation to Scotland: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager, by Diana Gabaldon. This series is about a 20th Century woman who is magically transported back to 18th Century Scotland! It looks fascinating, and I'm told it's excellent. These are also HUGE books with relatively small typeface...so combining these three books with the 5 previous books that Ann has sent me (I've read about 1 1/2 at this point! - and those are the small size novels...) I think I have enough reading material to keep me busy for the next year!


Thank you SOOOOO much Ann, this package was totally over the top!

4 comments:

clumberknits said...

LOL! Yeah, I admit it was a little over the top, but I had such fun putting it together, and your blog post made it totally worth it!!

I'm still wondering what the kitties found so intriguing. The first photo of little Timothy is adorable!

I travel often to a little town in CT that has a store of the British Isles -- all things Irish, English, Welsh and Scottish. You can have afternoon tea, and they have the most lovely things. When I told the woman I wanted some small things from Scotland to round out a gift package, she tried to sell me silver jewelry. It was gorgeous, but now, that would have definitely been over the top!

There are actually 6 books in the Gabaldon series, but I didn't want to overwhelm you. If you get through all 3 and want more, let me know and I'll send them.

So glad that it came in time. Enjoy your weekend!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

WOW! Your secret pal should did spoil you right! Love the Scottish theme...seriously...STR in Scottish Highlands...that is fabulous! Enjoy your fabulous package...makes me want to visit Scotland again :)

cpurl17 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cpurl17 said...

Wow that's some fabulous spoiling there!!! I love that theme and the goodies look soooo good!