Friday, July 13, 2007

What IS Tencel??

So, this is a question that's been bugging me for a while. Someone said it was "wood fiber"...but how can it be soooo soft and wonderful??

I read somewhere recently where someone was equating Tencel with Acrylic - that bothered me, since I think there couldn't be two fibers that are MORE different from each other. So, a quick search found me Tencel - The Miracle Fiber.

In summary, it IS wood fiber, and I LOVE it! The socks I'm knitting (which started out REALLY strong - two socks, toe up, started Sunday, turned the heels on Tuesday!) are a wool/tencel blend. I spun the yarn, and it's SOOOO soft and wonderful. Oh, and as for the socks...I haven't knitted a stitch since Wednesday morning :( I plead budget exhaustion :(

Oh, and while I'm passing on short bits of things found online, here's a great post about some AMAZING Cupcakes...what a fabulous themed idea for a party!!

5 comments:

spinndiva said...

soooooocks..... tencelllll... I have to try tencel now...can you believe? I haven't gotten around to it yet!!
have fun! can't wait to see the socks!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...the bit about using it for sausage skins makes for some weird possibilities. A Tencel sausage cozy!!

KnitChick said...

Yeah! Does that mean you can EAT IT???!?

Batty said...

Personally, I wouldn't try eating Tencel, but it sure is fun to knit with!

Lorena said...

I love me some Tencel. Not only does it strengthen up the sock a little, but it gives the yarn a lovely sheen.