Saturday, February 23, 2008

Great Wheel Acquired!

But not mine...

K had called the guy for the one we saw on Craig's list, and he called back today and asked if she wanted to come see it. So, she, her DH and I piled into their SUV and headed out to the guy's house. It was a beautiful wheel. Very little wood failure that I could see. There was a crack on the wooden disc that the cop backs up to, but that was about it. The band that was on it wasn't optimal - it had a huge knot on it that often had to be guided over the spindle. No Miner's head - she can look for one later if she wants one. Oh, and the wheel support arm would move a bit without too much coersion (backing up or getting that knot over the spindle) and the band would fall off. Those minor issues aside, it's beautiful. So, she got it and we piled it in the car to take home. I haven't seen it since she made the adjustments we talked about, but she's planning to work on that this evening.

Tomorrow we are going to have a dyeing day. We have some Knitpicks sock yarn that we'll dye (I'm thinking I may dye the yarn for my HSKS4 Pal tomorrow!!). I have some Merino/Tencel and also a couple of silk caps. K has some Corriedale I believe... So we're going to have a fun day and dye all sorts of things. And I might try out the Great again while I'm there...make sure the new setup works properly of course...

Will show the results of our dyeing day in a couple of days...

Making slow progress on destashing and organizing too...

3 comments:

cyndy said...

Hey that is good news! Another old wheel finds a good home!

If she ever wants to get a minor's head, Fred Hatton sells some wonderful restored units. You can see some of his work at
http://antique-spinning-wheels.blogspot.com
You can also contact them via the email on the side bar of the blog.

Fred made my wool finger and restored my wheel. He is a master woodturner.

Kappy111 said...

Well, the wheel is on the move again. J is taking over ownership! So it will be going from one good home to another! :-)

KnitChick said...

Woo Hoo!! You've heard it here first boys and girls!! (She didn't even email me first to confirm with me directly!!)