Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New Spinning Tools

Look what I got in the mail yesterday!!! Spinning tools!! Both items are hand turned, courtesy of Fred. He has an Etsy store, and his wife has a blog.


The first is a spinning wheel hook. Just PERFECT for my antique Saxony wheel! The colors match VERY well. Now I just have to figure out how or where to hang it. The danger is that I can see it as a VERY popular cat toy if I'm not careful...

The second item is what's known as a wool finger. It was used to turn the wheel of the Great Wheel while spinning. Some versions suggest it was to give the spinner additional distance before they had to wind on. Another indicates that it was to prevent oils from the hands from getting on the wood of the wheel. Whatever the purpose, there is documentation dating back to at least the 14th Century of the use of a Wool Finger Luttrell Psalter. This one is a reproduction based on an actual antique.

I love how well the colors match the colors of my wheel! And look at the detailing! I'm not sure if that was the original detailing, or if Fred added the detail based on a photo of my wheel, but it looks GREAT!

Now I REALLY need to get spinning. The frantic cleaning is starting to abate somewhat, although there is still more to be done.

3 comments:

Janice in GA said...

Very cool! Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Anonymous said...

ooohhh - - pretty cat toys - I mean, spinning tools, of course! Fred is a true craftsman! Melody

cyndy said...

They look wonderful with the wheels! Fred's work is always the highest quality!