Saturday, July 22, 2006

As One Chapter Closes, Another Begins

The Grape Arbor Shawl has now been delivered, as have a few other small items I've been working on. That project has taken up most all of my knitting time over the past month or so...

Now I have another project that will keep me busy for the next two months... My mother called on Thursday with a grand idea...they were thinking of having a baby shower for my brother and his wife at the beginning of November (she's due the end of December). Then, they thought, "Wait a second, Jody will be here in September, what if we did it then??"

So, we're now planning a baby shower for two months from now! Which means I have to get my needles clicking! Of course the first decision is what to make...

At this point, we don't know what they're having just yet...it'll probably be another two weeks before we know...and even then we might not...so I think I'm going gender neutral.

I think a blanket would be a nice place to start - was thinking of using Caron's Simply Soft. It's a slightly lighter weight worsted, and acrylic...and the price is right. Any other suggestions? I also kinda like it, since it comes in a wide array of colors. I'm more inclined to do something with a collection of bright colors instead of using pastels, and the shades I saw of SS fit the bill nicely. So, now I'm off to look for a pattern with nice color changes, as well as a semi interesting pattern. Am thinking blocks, though I hate the idea of sewing/crocheting them together. The up side however is that I can do lots of bright colors. Who knows, perhaps I'll even make up my own, using different patterns for each block and just make it a patchwork of squares.

I also have a cute little pattern for a baby bobble hat...could do that out of leftover SS actually. I did have an idea that I'd like to do it from a very soft washable wool blend, since they are in NY and it'd be warmer. What are your thoughts on using any wool for babies? Am I just better off to stick with acrylic or cotton?

Perhaps, I'll do a multi-colored afghan, then do a bobble hat and a pair of booties from the leftover yarn...

Would LOVE feedback and experienced suggestions on this, since this is the first time I've ever actually knit for a baby!

No comments: