Saturday, July 08, 2006

Decisions....

So many decisions to make...

The Finger Lakes Fiber Festival posted their class list this week...exciting stuff! So, here's my short list...

This felting class looks pretty cool actually...of course now the question is, what photo do I take to felt? So many possibilities... I might pick out a couple of them, so I can make a final determination once I get there...
"Especially for Ewe" Felt making Fun- Students will create a landscape in wool fiber working with a favorite photo, painting, or from their imagination using both wet and needle felting techniques. Student to bring a towel or two and a picture. Sandy Cirillo $45 Saturday 3-5

Now here's another interesting one...dying from natural dyes! The gardener/naturalist in me really likes this idea, and a whole day class will help to create a great foundation! Lots of notes and a whole bunch of cool samples to bring home!
Fantastic colors from Natural Dyes- Participants will learn about the natural dye process, wool handling, basic color theory, the history of natural dyes, and dyeing and safety considerations. Participants will gain hands-on experience with the process of dyeing on wool and silk with natural materials, a range of color possibilities (achieved through the use of mordants, assists, single and multi-color dyestuffs, including indigo), and how to record dyeing results for further exploration. Basic color theory will be covered, with references to the history and uses of natural dyes. Each student will leave with samples of approximately 25 colors from 4 -5 dye pots, complete instructions, a reference list and sources of supplies.
Carol Wood Debbie MacCrea $60 plus $35 materials
All Day Saturday (Sunday if enough demand)

If I can't take the natural dying class (if it's not offered on Sunday), then these would be my other choices...The dyeing class, since it would give me a general overall survey of dying. I do think the natural dyes class will be more interesting, but this is a good backup.
Dyeing 101- Learn three techniques in dyeing-- microwave, space and pot. All supplies included. Betty Todd $30 Sunday 10-12

Also a good survey course in fiber preparation...
Fiber Blending- Learn about blending fibers with hand carders, drum carder, combs and hackles. Students will bring home their blends. Debbie Santolla $35 Sunday 2-4

I know, I know, I could do this myself...but I'd still really like to know what sort of techniques they use in this class. I'm not sure it'll be offered at any time that I could actually take it...but I'll see when the offer it and see how the rest of the schedule fits together...
The Amazing Multi-Directional Scarf- Learn short-row shaping and see how this technique and a space-dyed yarn combine to make a mesmerizing scarf! Students should bring short, straight needles, size 8. Erin Kosich $38 TBA
And OF COURSE I'm definitely looking forward to spending some quality time at the market! I've visited with several New York State vendors previously...and have purchased from a couple of others...also I understand that Susan of Spinning Bunny fame will be there as well. Am trying to save up now so I can get some great stuff to bring home with me!

No comments: